Wednesday, October 2, 2013
I was fortunate enough to attend the Zawiyah (spiritual retreat) this summer in Rosales, Spain. 
Any opportunity to be among like minded people, 
actively seeking more knowledge for the sake of purifying the soul, 
is one party I'm all about attending! 
Plus it was being held in southern Spain...umm hello!
The theme of the retreat was 
"Service to others & compassion"
How are you going to argue with that!?

The foundation of the week long retreat was laid out with this simple hadith(tradition/report) of the angel Jibreal (Gabriel)

"This day I have perfected for you your religion and have fulfilled my blessing upon you and I have contended myself for you" 

There was something very serene about being hidden away in the mountains of the sleepy town of Rosales. Where your daily life revolved around taking care of only mind, body, and spirit. It's a great escape from "real life" and is amazingly refreshing. 
But let's be real...
The whole time I'm at any type of retreat like this is, "how am I going to keep this up at home!?" 
Life is crazy busy.
And although I'm not always up to beat with what I feel I should be/doing as a Muslim, 
I'm reminded that we're all human. 
We make mistakes. We falter. We question. We believe. We fall. We get back up. 
We remind ourselves that God is forgiving and in return He reminds us His mercy is extremely vast.
God is super cool!

Here are some take home points that I try to remind myself of often:
  • Worship God as though you see him even if you don't see him.
  • Be honest and courageous enough with yourself in acknowledging your sins.
  • Repentance is a daily part of refining yourself.
  • Practice self development and constant purification.
You can learn more about the essentials of Islam, Iman(faith), and Ihsan(practice) here.

{Al Hambra-Granada}
Knowledge is for implementation -Practice what you learn

2 comments:

  1. Great photography.

    'Be honest and courageous enough with yourself in acknowledging your sins.' - This is so true and tough.

    ReplyDelete

Fashion, Faith, Food. Sarcasm too. Mama to 3. Currently living in Kuala Lumpur.

...

...

contact Twitter Instagram Pinterest Tumblr

On A Wing And A Prayer: An American Muslim Learns to Fly

On A Wing And A Prayer: An American Muslim Learns to Fly
*as seen on PBS*

Our summer in Jerusalem

Our summer in Jerusalem
check it out @ NieNie Dialogues

ISLAM 101

ISLAM 101
BE INSPIRED

Faith Walks The Land

Faith Walks The Land
{new documentary-Summer 2011}
Eat Less Meat at This Week For Dinner
Powered by Blogger.